The Station Nightclub Fire

In 2003, 100 people died in an fire at The Station nightclub in Warwick, Rhode Island. The fire started when pyrotechnics used by the band Great White ignited combustible soundproofing material on the stage. Just about everyone in the building tried to exit out the main doors, which were quickly blocked by the crush of people trying to escape.

The entire event was caught on video by a video crew that was there to cover the concert. It is a graphic portrayal of the events, but an invaluable one for teaching the importance of knowing two ways out, no matter where you are, being aware of your surroundings and what can happen in crowded venues, no matter where you are.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology recreated the fire in their laboratory, which dramatically documented how fast the fire grew and how quickly untenable conditions were created.